There are stressful times in every job and financial modeling is no different. With a continued pull for your time in every direction from meeting to networking, you may find that you feel stressed regularly to get everything done. Being a professional in the field of financial modeling, you will find that you need to push on, no matter how stressed you are feeling.
Though everyone experiences stress differently, finding some basic techniques to help you relax and de-stress is the best way to handle work stress. Below are some common techniques that can be helpful to everyone to try and relax a little when feeling over-stressed at work.
- Take Time to Work-Out – Exercise is the best stress reliever there is. You will likely find that if you exercise, no matter how much or little you exercise, getting just 15 minutes a day can make all the different in your health and energy level. The time can give you a chance to feel better and relieve work stress. Consider using your lunch hour to workout or take the stairs at work when moving between floors. At the very least, spend time a few days a week getting outside and walking around the block or even the halls in your building in in-climate weather.
- Take Time to Focus on your Breathing/Meditate – If you are feeling exceptionally stressed, take a time out, focus on your breathing, and clear your head. Let the things that are stressing you out stop running through your head. Find a place that is quiet or simply close your eyes at your desk for 5 minutes and breathe in and out slowly, thinking about your breathing, counting your breaths to keep your mind focused on your breathing and not what you are stressed about. Clearing your mind, just for a few minutes, can help you refocus on the situation at hand and help you relieve some of your stress level.
- Take a Minute to Get Some Fresh Air – Fresh air can do wonders for your stress level, no matter what season it is. If you find yourself feeling stressed, take a break and go outside and get some air. You will find that it can be rejuvenating and you may find that you are able to refocus much better. Even if you cannot exercise, just getting outside and breathing some fresh air can be fulfilling.
Financial modeling can be a stressful job at times. Taking the time to relax and refocus each day at work can be very helpful. Using one or some of these techniques can be very helpful in reducing your stress level, helping you stay focused and keep yourself productive in financial modeling.
It’s easy to find yourself buried in paperwork and projects. Many financial modeling professionals find that their staff is lighter and their work load heavier making it easy to fall behind and feel overwhelmed with their job. If you are feeling stressed or overwhelmed at work, here are some ways to help yourself get ahead and feel less overwhelmed.
- Prioritize your Workload – One of the best things you can do is prioritize your tasks and work. In financial modeling, you may find that you have work coming at you from every direction. Work the important projects and tasks first and use the time left to work on future deadlines. This can help every financial modeling professional stay on task and be more organized. Making sure you prioritize your work can really help you keep your stress level down and help you not feel so overwhelmed
- Keep Distractions to a Minimum – One of the biggest time waster in the workplace is distractions. If you find that you are continually distracted, one of the best things you can do to be more productive in financial modeling is to reduce your distractions so you can be more productive throughout the day. A good way to reduce distractions is to spend some time first thing each morning de-cluttering your desk, prioritizing your day, and determining your daily schedule. Once you have this clear, you can get started with your day. Scheduling specific times to check email, take care of personal business, and take short breaks can make you more productive when you are working. If you are continually interrupted by others, have open and closed door times. Don’t have a door? You can always use a sign that states you are in a concentrated work time and ask those that stop by your desk to come back at a specific time.
- Adjust your Hours – Sometimes, all you need to catch up on your workload and take away the stress of having too much on your plate is to adjust your hours and put in a few extra hours. Working late a few days or coming in a little early can give you some concentrated time to work on your backlog. Busy financial modeling professionals will have a backlog of work from time-to-time. Adding a few hours to your week can help take your daily pressure off and help you get caught up on your work in no time.
Though there are many ways to help you feel less overwhelmed in financial modeling, these tips can help you get any work backlog caught up and take the pressure off that comes with having too much work on your plate. Being overwhelmed can be stressful and therefore make you even more unproductive. Getting a handle on your workload can help every financial modeling professional be less stressed in the workplace and therefore more productive overall.